Updated June 13, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links.
Can’t stomach another packet of instant oatmeal? You’ll actually look forward to breakfast with Backcountry Foodie’s ultralight Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal recipe. The serving size shown provides 510 calories and a healthy serving of protein and fiber to boot! Now, that’ll fuel your body for those morning miles on the trail. Leave those packets on the grocery store shelf and take your backpacking breakfast to the next level. Your body will thank you.
Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal
Rate This RecipeView Comments / Leave A Review
NUTRITION (per serving)
INSTRUCTIONS (per serving)
- Put all dry ingredients in a bag or container to be used in the backcountry.
- Pack 1/2 Tbsp (7 g) coconut oil in a leakproof container to be added when the meal is consumed. We recommend double bagging the oil in the event there is a leak.
- Add 8 oz (240 mL) hot water or to the desired consistency.
- Stir and let stand to allow the blueberries to rehydrate and oatmeal to thicken.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp (7 g) coconut oil.
- Stir to mix well and enjoy!
- Total sugar (per serving): 31 g, including 13 g added sugar
- To reduce added sugar by 13 g, replace brown sugar with brown sugar substitute.
- To reduce calories by 60, do not add the 1/2 Tbsp (7 g) of coconut oil.
READY TO SEE MORE ULTRALIGHT BACKPACKING RECIPES LIKE THIS ONE?
Backcountry Foodie is your go-to resource for more than 200 backpacking dietitian-created recipes and a one-of-a-kind automated meal planning tool. The meal planner even creates itemized shopping lists for you! Meal prep has never been easier.
Check out this video to see where all the magic happens.
DISCLOSURE: Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which means we may receive a modest commission if purchases are made through those links. This adds no cost to our readers and helps us keep our site up and running. Our reputation is our most important asset, so we only include links for products that we use ourselves.
Did you enjoy this recipe?
Pin it and share it with your fellow hikers.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Aaron Owens Mayhew, MS, RDN, CD, is a registered dietitian and ultralight long-distance backpacker with over 20 years of nutrition and backpacking experience. She’s also the founder and owner of Backcountry Foodie, an online ultralight recipes and meal planning platform for backpackers. She also enjoys teaching hikers about backpacking nutrition via virtual masterclasses, YouTube videos, and podcast episodes. You can follow Aaron’s adventures in the kitchen and the backcountry via Instagram and Facebook.